Pages

Tuesday 7 May 2013

April Glossybox Review

I was still hanging on in there! Waiting for a box that would get me super excited. I think the April Glossybox may have initially done the trick.

When I ordered this the estimated delivery date range was just after my op so the idea was that I would get this after coming out of hospital as a bit of a treat to myself. It didn't quite work out that way and I'm kinda glad.

The box arrived the day before my op and as I opened it I began to get excited. Over the box itself. Anyone who knows me well will possibly know I have a slight thing about boxes. I cannot throw out a nice or potentially useful box or piece of packaging. Maybe this goes back to my days as a graphic design student, who knows. I remember having sketchbooks with carefully broken down packages stuck in them, for no real reason other than I just liked them. Anyway, borderline box fetish explained, let me show you a photograph of the box.


This box is beautiful. A lot of the time when I can't part with a box I use them for storage around my room and this will look really nice. 


The contents of the box are as follows:
- The usual fold out "magazine" showing all of the products and info, interviews and suchlike
- Nip+Fab Dry Skin Fix Body Butter in Coconut Latte
(50ml travel size, RRP £9.95 for 200ml according to the magazine or £8.49 in Boots)
- Sleek Makeup Blush in Flamingo
 (Full size, retails at £4.49 for 8g)
A-Derma Intense Repair Lip Balm
(Full size, 15ml costs £7.95)
- Yves Rocher So Elixir Purple Perfume
(5ml sample, 50ml retails at £44)
- Essie Nail Lacquer in Sugar Daddy
(Full size, RRP £7.99)

I was so excited when I saw the contents of this box, everything was great at first glance, even the perfume sample as it was in a little bottle instead of one of those annoying vials that contain nowhere near the amount stated as they are never full. So lets look at the individual products and see how they fared.

         
I have wanted to try the Nip+Fab products for a while as I have heard good things about them, however I always thought they were quite an expensive brand. I guess the firming and toning products are but I never realised that they did other products like body butters. I am not a fan of coconut. Not the taste, not the smell. This actually reminded me more of Play-Doh, just not so heavy scented. You might think that sounds disgusting for a body butter but for me it's way better than coconut. Scent aside I really liked the product and found it left my skin feeling really soft and moisturised without leaving a horrible film that a lot of body butters do. It's quite light and absorbs well. I am definitely going to be trying this in a different fragrance.


Next up is the Sleek Blush in the shade Flamingo. I love Sleek products but haven't yet tried any of their blushes despite eyeing them up numerous times in Superdrug, including this particular shade. So I was stoked when I saw this was in my box. I haven't yet tried this blush as I haven't been anywhere post-op but it will be one of the first on my list of things to try out once I'm back on my feet, but I've heard fantastic things about these blushes with people comparing them to the quality of Nars and other high end brands.


Another brand I had heard of but never tried. This lip balm is really nice. I tried it out a couple of times when my lips have been quite dry and it feels instantly soothing. It's more of a creamy consistency and is nice if you don't like the tingling sensation products like Carmex have.

  
I think I liked this more for the packaging than the scent, it's not something I would go out and buy but I probably will wear this. It's an ideal size for those occasions you only have a small handbag or for travelling. 

  
The Essie nail polish was my biggest disappointment from the box. I had never tried Essie but really wanted to as the formula is supposed to be fab. However out of the 15 shades available the one I received sucked. There is no other way to describe it. It had zero opacity and was just like applying a slightly pink tinged clear polish. It took five or six coats to even begin to show signs of any colour and then it just wouldn't dry at all. It's such a shame as it has put me off the brand a little, the brush was nice, application was good. But I know nothing more about how the polish performs despite having a sample as the colour just wasn't worth messing about with finishing off applying to all of my nails. I just removed it in the end and chucked the bottle in my box, probably never to be used again. Maybe I will give another shade a go sometime.

So that's my opinion on the April Glossybox and it's contents. After the initial excitement I do feel it was a little bit of a let down although it did introduce me to some new brands and while the particular smell or colour of a product wasn't right for me I might go out and purchase something more suitable from those brands, which in the end is the point of this subscription.

If you would like to subscribe to Glossybox or just want more information click here.

Thank you once again for your time, please feel free to follow me, or comment, and I hope you will visit this blog again soon.

xx   

No comments:

Post a Comment