Pages

Thursday 21 March 2013

Product Review: Benefit They're Real Mascara

  

This has undoubtedly been the most hyped up mascara of the last six months or so and was the best selling mascara in the UK for 2012. Retailing at £18.50 it promises dramatic length and volume, base to tip curl, visible lift and long wearing results as observed by 90-100% of people in a consumer panel survey. It also claims to provide clump free, beautiful lashes.

I'd held off buying this mascara for quite a while, I have far too many, way more than I can use up before they dry up or get too old and unhygienic to use. However I am a sucker for a bargain and when I saw this on Buyapowa for £13.50 I thought I would give it a try. That site is bad for my bank account seriously.

So I clicked 'join co-buy' and waited with much anticipation for the postman to come a-knockin'.

The outer packaging is nicely designed, I'm not sure if it fits in with Benefit's existing style of vintage style imagery but it certainly fits their fun flirty brand. The mascara itself has quite a unique applicator, the standard spikey plastic wand has the addition of a little ball at the end designed to catch all of those inner corner lashes and tricky to reach places.


So the good points of this mascara. It's extremely black, the blackest mascara I have come across. It brightens the eyes and certainly gets every lash. It stays black all day without fading out to that murky grey that some mascaras do. Unfortunately for me this is where the good points end.

The applicator is very spikey and if you poke yourself in the eye it's bad news. Not just like normal mascara wands, but to the point your eye spasms, turns red and waters like the Niagra Falls. Okay so you aren't meant to poke yourself in the eye but it does happen and it seems to happen a lot more so with this wand. Maybe it's just me being careless. So that aside what other problems did I have?

You are meant to be able to build this mascara up, using it first in a rocking side to side motion to coat the lashes then in a vertical motion to create lift and get all those tricky lashes that like to hide away. But after just one coat I can feel my lashes getting clumpy. I've watched YouTube video after YouTube video to try and get the right technique but nothing seems to work. Yes you get volume and lift but my lashes also just seemed to get weird bobbles at the ends. The small ball at the end of the wand always comes out coated in far too much product for the small lashes to hold and even after wiping away the excess it doesn't seem to help much. My lashes are left spidery even after using a lash comb and have that horrible crispy feeling which gets harder and harder throughout the day. I also found that although the mascara didn't smudge or fade it did flake a little.



In all I am really disappointed with the Benefit They're Real Mascara. I was expecting good things and I just find it really unworkable. Maybe you just need good lashes to begin with to make this work, a lot of people love this mascara and maybe you will too. It just isn't for me.

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment